Access

CTX-Blog

powered by Ecki's Place

August 26, 2013

Office 2013 on Server 2012 (Windows Installer Loop)

Not long ago I was asked to install a new XenDesktop 7.0 RDS host. Office 2013 should run on this system also. An easy one was my first thought and I went to work. After installing Server 2012, Office 2013 and all the needed Windows Updates (more than 3GB, incredible) I discovered an unpleasant surprise. With every start of Outlook, a Windows Installer window popped up, telling me that Office would now be configured. After that, Outlook worked fine without errors but the Windows Installer popped up again and again with every start of Outlook 🙁

The Windows Event Log didn’t really help much because it only showed some informational messages of the Windows Installer but no error messages, see the following screen-shot:

Outlook2013_Windows_Installer_Eventviewer

An Office repair didn’t help as was the case with several other “rescue attempts” with registry keys mentioned in an article about Office 2010 problems: Office-2010-Professional-Plus-configures-each-time-i-launch-fixed. Even a brand new installed system showed the same symptoms.

After a long search on the Internet I stumbled upon the following thread that helped me to solve the problem: Outlook-2013-starts-configuration-every-time

Outlook 2013 on Server 2012 needs the Windows Search service to finalize its setup. If this service is not installed, which is the default for RDS, then Outlook tries at every start to “fix” the problem. After installing the Windows Search service feature and setting it to “disabled” in the Services manager, the Windows Installer pop-ups disappeared 🙂

Regards
Ecki

May 4, 2010

Homedrive fails silently to mount at logon (Vista/Windows 7)

After the update to Vista/Windows 7, mapping of the UserHome drive fails silently at logon. All other drive mappings made by a logon script are successful. This happens always if the UserHome is mapped through the AD user-object. UserHome mapping configured by GPO is not affected. There are no error messages logged and it is hard to find a reason for this behavior 🙁

Disabling UAC helps, but should not be the final solution, since it opens up many security holes.

Not really a Citrix problem but annoying if you happen to stumble upon it. Since it took me some time to find a solution, i thought it might be a good idea to post it here.

The following registry key allows again for a successful UserHome mapping:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
“EnableLinkedConnections”=dword:00000001

The original solution has been posted here.

Regards
Ecki

|